Monday, April 1, 2013

General Tso Chicken

I bought a new cookbook last month and when I saw that they had a General Tso Chicken recipe, I was super excited!

The recipe called for deep frying the battered chicken and then stir frying it with sauce. Overall, it was a pretty simple recipe. The only thing that was slightly annoying was the deep frying part. I only have one wok so I had to fry the chicken first, wait for the oil to cool and then transfer it to the bowl before I was able to use the wok again.



When I took my first bite, I was very surprised...in a bad way. It tasted nothing like I expected. I was looking forward to the general tso chicken taste from your typical chinese take out. What I made was something totally different. It was on the salty side instead of sweet. Yes, I've heard that authentic general tso chicken taste nothing like the take out version but for some reason, I had the take out version in my head while I was making this. You would think that not having any sugar in the recipe would ring a bell...but it didn't!


Ah well, it was a good experience. The deep fried chicken (pre-sauce) was actually pretty good. All I have to do now is look for a good sauce recipe and I should be set.

Cookbook: Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking by Fuchsia Dunlop

No comments:

Post a Comment