Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Carnitas' Snack Shack

This place is really a shack. There is a small order window in the front of the establishment and seating in the back area. It seems like a young/college crowd (based on my one time experience). 

We ended up getting ours to go. 



Steak Sandwich  - sliced ribeye/ jalapeno cheddar bread/ tomato/ pickled serranos/ chipotle aioli - $9

This was actually very good. The steak was flavorful and not chewy. I think what did it for me was the jalapeno cheddar bread.

Pork Belly App - braised duroc pork/ sweet-spicy glaze/ frisée salad/ apples/ radish/ lemon vinaigrette - $8 

So do you notice the small container of sauce in the first pic? Well, that was suppose to be spread all off the pork belly! When I first saw it, I thought it was for the salad so I didn't think anything of it. It was only until after we finished the pork belly, did we realized. Too bad actually because I think it probably would have enhanced this dish. I found this one a bit plain.

Side of Seasoned Fries - $2.50

Ah, a side of seasoned fries...good but I wish they had given my ketchup. Argh.

Overall, good place but I would recommend calling ahead of time to place the order. The long line for food is just not worth it.


Carnitas' Snack Shack
2632 University Ave (between Pershing Ave & Villa Ter)
San Diego, CA 92104

(619) 294-7675
http://carnitassnackshack.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! If you call ahead is there a separate place you go to pick up your order so you don't have to wait in the long line??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was on line, I saw people just going to straight to the order counter and told the guys that they were picking up. The carnitas folks then just took care of their order before going back to the regular line.

      If you want, I would just ask them if you could do that when you call for pick up.

      Enjoy!

      Delete