Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Peter Luger Steak House

Finally went to Peter Luger this past weekend.


I made reservations about a month in advance but I'm not sure if that's needed if you are flexible with when you want to dine there. I got the feeling that there were some openings in the near future when I made my reservation.

Our party of 6 was seated within 10 or so mins after our arrival. It was a Sunday afternoon (1:45) and the place was decently populated.


Bread...Although the taste was not bad, the fact that I had to use a good amount of muscle to pull it apart made me not like it. It was also not warm when it came out. I was disappointed.


Damn my headache for preventing me from drinking too much of this


Ah, the famous Peter Luger steak sauce. What's funny is that I remember liking it in the past (the bottled ones) but for whatever reason, I didn't like it that day. I found it too tangy for the steak. I know it's laughable but I think I prefer A1 sauce. I will make a note to try these two sauces one day, side by side, and see which one I really like.

Luger's Sizzling Bacon


Omg, this bacon appetizer was so good, I put three pics of it up. The best part of this slice is the meat to fat ratio. It was just perfect. It was crisp yet I felt like it melted in my mouth. The flavor was also great. Salty but not too salty. Best thing I had there!!!

Onion Rings
I thought this was pretty good onion rings. I love onion rings but in the past few years, I haven't found a decent place that made really good onion rings. It was always usually either too fried, too crisp, too oily or too bland. I actually enjoyed these rings though. I thought the flavor was good. Great onion to batter ratio, wasn't too oily and went well with my meal. It was nice to take a few bites of it every once in awhile.


We ordered a steak for two and a steak for three. The steak comes out in a big dish, all pre-cut. The waiter puts it on the table and then puts a few slices on everyone's plate. I'm still learning how to eat steak so I'm still scared of the pinkness. As a result, I ordered it medium well (don't shake your head at me!)...

Personally, I didn't care too much for the steak. I guess I just can't appreciate a good piece of steak, eh? I found it a bit on the bland side and the first piece that I had was a bit chewy. That's what I get for getting it medium well? I don't know. It was chewy yet it was still a bit pinkish. I ended up eating three pieces and I was done.


The sides here are their Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes and Creamed Spinach. The creamed spinach as alright. Not my style (I don't get it often so I can't tell you if it tasted good or not). The potatoes were awesome. Flavor was good and the potatoes were not too mushy. I think this was the second best thing ;P


Complimentary chocolate coins


So would I recommend going to Peter Luger? Yes, I would. I would go for the experience. I think if you are somewhat into steaks, definitely come here and form your own opinion. I gotta warn you though, the ambience itself is nothing special . If you didn't know any better, it just looks like a ordinary restaurant. The tables are wood with some clear coating. The chairs are your standard cushion chairs and the plates look like plates that your mom would have in her house.

I'm going back but only to go with someone who hasn't been there and for the bacon and potatoes!


Peter Luger Steak House
178 Broadway (between 6th St & Driggs Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11211

(718) 387-7400
http://www.peterluger.com

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you prefer A1 sauce. I loved this sauce. Yeah the steak was ok. I actually discovered Ihawan has a really good Rib Steak for $15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think I was a big fan of their sauce even before I went to the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete