Sunday, April 28, 2013

AA Plaza

I woke up one Saturday morning and I was in the mood for those rice noodles I used eat when I was a kid. I'm talking about those $1 rice noodles that you would get in those karts in Chinatown. Fresh noodles is the foundation of this dish but that sesame & soy/hoisin sauce is what makes you want it over and over again.

...my usual place is the kart by the Elmhurst library in queens however. I didn't feel like driving so far that day so I decided to try a new place in flushing...

Note: The one in Elmhurst isn't the best but it is the best I've found so far in queens...

Pic courtesy of Yelp ;)
This place is super busy all the time. If you ever go there, be prepared to get cut because there isn't a clear line. But hey, this is Flushing so it's somewhat expected.


I got an order of rice noodles and one spicy fish balls stick. I made my own milk tea.


The rice noodles were decent. I found some of noodles a bit firm which to me indicates that it isn't that fresh. Usually, fresh noodles are soft and "flexible". The sauce combination was okay too. The sesame/peanut sauce was good but the soy/hoisin sauce was not right. It was a bit liquidity. Usually, there is some level of thickness to it so that it sticks to the noodles.

In the end, I haven't decided on how I feel about this place. I'm going to give it a few more times and then decide. Hopefully, I learn how to make that sesame/hoisin sauce and also find a good shop that sells fresh rice noodles with little shrimp (I don't remember these noodles having and shrimp...which sucks).


Ahh, fish balls. I love these. It's basically "fried fish balls" simmering in a spicy base. It's really great if you are looking for a snack.


AA Plaza (Right next to the Flushing LIRR)
40-66 Main St
Flushing, NY 11369

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if they still have it but have you tried corner 28. there's that stand with the shrimp and rice rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yea. I do remember seeing that. I'll check that place out the next time.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete