Sunday, September 16, 2012

Golden Palace Gourmet

Living so close to so many restaurants, I keep telling myself that I will try them out, one by one. I started that last night!


Not sure what these are but they were given to us after we ordered. I didn't like the one of the left. I think it's bean sprouts. The one of the right was not bad although I didn't eat it as much. It reminded me of kimchi.

Crispy Squid with Chili Pepper - $10.99
So I ordered this thinking it was the typical fried breaded squid...boy was I wrong! I cried a little inside when this came to my table.

...anyway, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I ate a few pieces but I don't think I would order it again as it is not my style.

Pork Fillet with Sweet and Sour Sauce - $10.99
Although my very first piece was bad, the rest was really good. I would get this again. The sauce had good flavor and the meat was pretty crisp.

Poached Sliced Beef in Hot Chili Oil - $11.99
Yeah, I personally didn't like this. I don't like beef that is cooked like that. If it's not steak, I like it cut into thin pieces. The "sauce" wasn't that flavorful either. My companion did enjoy it though.

Eggplant with Hot Garlic Sauce - $7.99
So when I ordered eggplant with garlic sauce, I was expecting the typical eggplant with garlic sauce. Again, I was really surprised and disappointed when this came out. But wow, I was wrong. I think this was the best dish. I've never had eggplant like this before. I think they cut out the inside of the eggplant and fried it before stir frying it. It tasted pretty good. I will definitely get this again the next time I go to this place. Yes, I will go back. I still want to try their fish dishes.

9-17-12

*Edit*

Someone was craving the beef dish so we ordered take out from this place. We ordered the eggplant dish again (i really like it), a a pork dish (exactly like the beef dish except it's pork) and a fish dish.

Crispy Sliced Fish with Chili Pepper - $12.99
Not bad. It wasn't too oily which is great. And the fish itself had good flavor. I know it's suppose to be with chili pepper but this isn't spicy at all. I dipped this in sriracha hot sauce to complete the taste ;)

Golden Palace Gourmet 

140-09 Cherry Ave
Flushing, NY 11355

(718) 886-4383

4 comments:

  1. That pork filet dish looks so much like General Tso's chicken.

    Was this a Szechuan restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it does look very similar. Some restaurant make sweet and sour pork that looks just like general tso chicken. The only difference is the sauce that they use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like an ok place, nothing great but hits the spot anyway. Nice to be in a neighborhood with choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sharon - Yes, exactly.
    @Jenny - I don't think it is. I think it's just Chinese.

    ReplyDelete