Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chicken Quesadilla

Been wanting to make a chicken quesadilla for quite some time now. As dumb as it sounds, I never made it because I was always afraid of cooking bland and dry pieces of chicken. After making some chicken cutlets for my salad a few months ago, I realized that a simple combination of seasonings can make a decent piece of chicken. So I decided it was time I make this simple classic dish.

For the seasoning, I used a taco seasoning mix (link to recipe below). I defrosted 3 thin skinless, boneless chicken breasts cutlets that I already had in my freezer. I put my newly bought Jaccard meat tenderizer into good use and applied the seasoning on the chicken via the zip lock bag method. I rubbed the cutlets in the bag until it had a good coating on it and put it back in the fridge for approx an hour so that the flavor could sink in.

Took the chicken out of the fridge about 45 mins before I wanted to cook so that the chicken was closer to room temperature (I didn't want the outside of the chicken to burn before the inside was cooked).

Used my cast iron pan and grilled each side of the cutlets for 2-3 mins. I removed the chicken from the pan, cut it into slices and put it aside. Took a paper towel and lightly oiled my cast iron pan. Put the flour tortilla on the pan, added a good layer of cheese (I decided to just buy the shredded Mexican cheese mix), added the pieces of chicken on one side of the tortilla and then added another layer of cheese. Took my fish spatula and folded the tortilla like you would when making an omelet. When the cheese started to melt, I flipped over the quesadilla and grilled the other side for another min (low to med heat).

When it was done, I cut it in half and voila!


(P.S. - I decided to make green sauce instead of salsa)

Overall, the quesadilla came out pretty good. The chicken cooked just right and with the right amount of flavor. The cheese was nicely melted and the tortilla was warm and crisp. It also went pretty well with the green sauce.

Next time, I think it will put some green/red peppers and onions in the quesadilla.

Taco Seasoninghttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx
Chicken Quesadillahttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-quesadillas

1 comment: